Healthy baking: Tropical pineapple coconut oat muffins
“Embrace summer with a muffin that’ll remind you of the tropics. This recipe combines pineapple, banana and coconut for delicious breakfast treat or snack. Best of all, these muffins are full of healthy ingredients, so you can enjoy your baked goods while also feeling good about what you’re eating…
Eat your baked goods without the guilt. Make a batch of these muffins at the beginning of the week, and you’ll have a healthy on-the-go breakfast or snack for the entire week. Simply store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Eat at room temperature or heat in the toaster. Easy, delicious and good for you, too.
- 2-1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- ¾ cup crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 extra ripe banana, cut in quarters for easier mixing
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup Greek non-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut , plus 1/4 – 1/3 cup to top muffins
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin with spray or butter.
- Using a food processor, grind oats until fine. They should have the consistency of flour.
- Add all ingredients except the topping coconut to the food processor with the oats.
- Pulse to combine until the mixture is smooth and consistent.
- Distribute batter evenly in the muffin tin.
- Top with remaining coconut.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until the tops gently bounce back when touched and a toothpick comes out of center of a muffin clean.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Then run a knife around the edges of each muffin to remove from tray.
Nutrition information: 122 calories, 6 grams of fat, 4 grams of protein, 5 grams of iron, 2 grams of fiber.